Following is a slightly
modified engagement ceremony in India. It can be further modified to take
into considerations the actual wishes and any sensitivity of the parties
involved. The engaged couple is referred here as bride and groom, although
they do not become so until the pre wedding ceremony a day or two before
the actual wedding.
• Groom’s family is welcomed at bride’s home or vice
• Formal introductions of both family members
• Sankalpa and Poonyahvachanam
• Request by the Groom’s father for the bride’s hand
for his son. Bride’s father’s approval
• Joint Ganesh Pooja / Varun Pooja. Groom’s mother gives a
sari and a ring to the bride. Bride’s father gives a dress and a
ring to the groom.
• Bride and the Groom leave to wear new dresses.
• After their return, Bride’s father and his daughter propose
the marriage at the appropriate Muhurtam.
• Groom’s father and his son reconfirm the proposal.
• Bride worships Shachi for the success of the future marriage
• Mangal Aarati of the bride by 5 women
• Bride and the Groom exchange the rings.
• Formal engagement Announcement, Ashirvad, Congratulations.
7 Chairs , Coffee table for the Pooja, Shri Ganesh Idol, Kalash, Beetle
leaves(10), Halad/Kunku, Gandha or Chandan, Bell, Candles, Neeranjan,
Aarati( oil lamp), Flowers, Udbatti, Supaari (10), Coconuts(2), Naivaidhya,
Whole Haladi ( Halkunda)